Thursday, September 09, 2010

When Life Gives You Shrimp, add LOADS of LEMON??


So last night I decided to try a new receipt. I need not remind you that I am not (am not) a very good cook; although I am learning and trying to get better. I am surrounded by fabulous cooks on both sides of the family and have a mother-in-law who should have her own food network television show! She is always telling me to try new things and says that is the only way I’ll learn.


So anyway, I was in the mood for pasta (since I’m trying to lose post-wedding weight, right?). I’ve never attempted sea food, so I thought what about a shrimp pasta dish?

There are so many great search engines nowadays. It’s almost like cook books are a thing of the past. If you need a receipt search and ye shall find!

I particularly like the sites that allow people to comment. I read the ratings and the suggestions and decide if it something NWH and I will enjoy.


Last night was no exception. I got online, went to Food Network, searched shrimp pasta and loads of options filled the screen. One of the very top receipts came from the one and only Barefoot Contessa (one of my mother-in-laws favorite kitchen divas). With a five star rating and 363 votes, I thought this HAD to be a winner!


Linguine with Shrimp Scampi” was the name, doesn’t that sound delish? It called for pasta of course, all you do there is salt the water and boil, easy. For the shrimp, I roasted 4 garlic cloves in butter and EVOO, added the shrimp along with salt and pepper…THEN…THEN….the horrific part…ADD ¼ a cup of lemon juice.


No offense Barefoot, but WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!! The receipt actually called for juice, 1/2 grated lemon zest AND ¼ lemon thinly sliced in half rounds. I didn’t add these (thank goodness) because I thought; wow that’s a lot of lemon.


In short, I hated the dish. I’ve never had lemon pasta, now I have and don’t like it. NWH actually ate all of his, and then we picked out the shrimp (which was the ONLY tasty part). I should have gone with my instinct on this one and chosen a recipe that stuck to good ol’ butter and garlic, but no no there I go trying to be all fancy.

P.S. At least I made brownies for dessert.  MMMMMmmmmmm.....



1 comment:

  1. Live and learn ~ you're bound to make a dish now and then that just doesn't do it for you. I've made a couple over the years that I've tossed and ordered take out!

    Jo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails