Wednesday, October 06, 2010

This is "El-Swank-O"

So yesterday was a CRAZY day. 


I started my day pretty normal, got up, made coffee, and read blogs for an hour (uh…an hour and a half, ok may a few hours), then I had to do some work.  For two years of my college/grad life I worked at a dentist office in South Mississippi.  I learned so much being a part of that team; and now, though miles away, they still call me to do odds and ends. 


At 1:30 NWH called.  He said that he had found someone to watch Chipper for us this weekend.  (Side note:  We are going to Homecoming!!! And hate boarding little chip).  Of course I’m ecstatic because we know NOONE in this town and have had to make arrangements to bring chip along on every trip since moving here.  I don’t mind bringing my wittle-sweet-sing, he just HATES the car and would much rather being in his home.

NWH proceeds that it’s an elderly man whom he works with, Mr. Eddie and his girlfriend, Mrs. Deloris.  NWH says…"I’ve invited them over for dinner tonight; I thought we’d have Chili Spaghetti, they’ll be there around 6:00."  I try to get in a few words like…tomorrow night would be better, I don’t have the ingredients for Chili Spaghetti, what time did you say they’d be here?  Most of those small statements were ignored; and I’m rushing out the door to Wal-Mart.
Fast forward a bit, I’ve been in Wal-Mart for WAY too long looking at all the fall décor.  Since I’ve spent all my time READING blogs about how to decorate for fall, I haven’t actually done anything!  So I grab a few pumpkins, throw in a pumpkin spice candle, and check out with ingredients for Chili Spaghetti. 




I get in my car and momentarily freak out because it’s 4:00 o’clock and I was supposed to be on the treadmill a half hour ago.  Martha Stewart was on Oprah and didn’t want to miss it or my work out!  I make a decision to leave groceries in the car (hope the beef doesn’t make anyone sick) and run into the clubhouse for a good 45 minutes. Leave the clubhouse, unload groceries, get in the shower, get dressed, set table, light candles, turn on laps, turn on music, its 5:30!!....  Start cooking.



The guests didn’t arrive until 6:30 thank goodness, and NWH had to take an important call that lasted another 30 minutes so I had time to get everything just like I wanted.


Mr. Eddie and Mrs. Deloris are two of the sweetest people.  Mrs. Deloris is a heavier woman who walks with a cane and has a little difficulty getting around, but boy will she talk your ear off.  Mr. Eddie lost his wife Christmas of 2009 and still tears up every time he mentions “his wife”.  These two found one another at Hardy’s eating breakfast June 9th and have been keeping each other company since. 


We really enjoyed talking to Mr. Eddie and Mrs. Deloris, and I’m thinking they kind of liked our company too since they didn’t leave until almost 11 o’clock.  We had Chili Spaghetti, corn bread, and grilled cheese for dinner.  Then I served those blasted monster cookies and vanilla ice cream for dessert. 




I know they’ll take care of my Chip and love staying at the NW apt.  Mr. Eddie kept saying, “This is El-Swank-O.”  (I took that as a compliment).


P.S.  I know it’s Wedding Word Wednesday, but I thought this was too cute to pass!!


3 comments:

  1. How cute!

    I'm so glad you found someone to watch Chip, I always hate boarding my dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of chili spaghetti before but it looks so good! I am a new follower! Love your blog!

    xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails